5/10/13 7:46 pm •
The university awarded renowned journalist John Seigenthaler an honorary doctorate today at the College of Law’s commencement ceremony. This event was a highlight of a full week of ceremonies, which conclude Saturday. More than 3,730 undergraduate and graduate students are receiving degrees this week. The College of Law ceremony also featured Tennessee Senator Lamar Alexander, who provided the keynote address.
5/13/13 11:23 am •
More than 3,730 undergraduate and graduate students received degrees from the university last week. Thirteen ceremonies took place between Wednesday, May 8, and Saturday, May 11, and featured a wide variety of speakers imparting their wisdom to these newly-minted UT alumni. Tennessee Today has collected some of the words of wisdom shared by this year’s commencement speakers.
5/21/13 11:38 am •
UT architecture students are designing and remodeling the home of a mother and daughter who have disabilities. The project, which will provide wheelchair access to the home, is expected to be completed by Wednesday, May 22. The home of Wanda Skeen and her daughter Stacey is getting the makeover through UT Freedom by Design, a student service organization that is part of the American Institute of Architecture Students.
5/21/13 10:34 am •
Today and tomorrow, Microsoft will upgrade all Microsoft Live ID accounts that are affiliated with UT e-mail addresses to Office 365 accounts. These accounts primarily provide staff and faculty access to IT Academy. There is not expected to be a service outage during the upgrade. After the upgrade, staff and faculty will have two separate accounts with the same user name and password.
5/21/13 9:54 am •
UT has been granted state approval to purchase properties on White Avenue in Fort Sanders to build a new classroom/laboratory facility on Cumberland Avenue. The proposal to the State Building Commission helps UT address a significant shortfall of academic space. The Commission’s approval authorizes the purchase of three large houses. The new four-to-five story building will provide approximately 200,000 gross square feet of new academic space along Cumberland Avenue between the Jessie Harris Building and Hoskins Library.
5/20/13 11:13 am •
Accomplished musicians. A student who knows five languages. Several students who have done significant community service work, including one who organized a 5K run to benefit Cambodia. These are a few of the credentials of the freshmen who will be the newest class of Haslam Scholars. The university’s premier, four-year scholarship program, the Haslam Scholars Program admits up to fifteen first-year students each year from the university-wide Chancellor’s Honors Program and supports them with the university’s most generous named scholarships.
5/17/13 9:26 am •
More than 1,200 student teams from forty-two states and fourteen countries will travel to UT next week for the Destination Imagination Global Finals. The competition will be held May 22 through 25. Destination Imagination, a nonprofit organization that provides learning opportunities to enrich the global community, will celebrate its thirtieth anniversary at Global Finals. This is the fourteenth year Knoxville has hosted the creative thinking and problem-solving competition for kindergarten through university-level students.
- UT to Offer Summer Tutoring for Struggling Readers in Grades 3-5
- Birds in Art Exhibit Opens at McClung Museum May 25
- UTPD Hosts Multiagency Training Exercise on Campus
- Joel Reeves Named Permanent Chief Information Officer
- Supercomputing Research Shows Black Holes Impact Galaxies
- McClung Museum Offers Civil War Stroller Tour May 20
- PwC Sponsors Distinguished Speaker Series at UT Corporate Governance Center
- Students to Travel to Guatemala with Nourish International Chapter
UT in the News
- 5/14/13 • News Sentinel: Kids learning to eat healthier: UT center throws garden party
- 5/13/13 • News Sentinel: Two UT grads first with sustainability degree
- 5/09/13 • News Sentinel: UT-ORNL hire advanced manufacturing expert as 11th Governor’s Chair
- 4/25/13 • New Norris House’s Top Ten Green Projects Award Featured Nationally
- 4/25/13 • WSJ: The Smorgasbord That Thinks It’s a Weight-Loss Plan
- 4/25/13 • Cesar’s Way: Frazzled by Finals? De-stress with Fido