UT Knoxville to Rock ‘n’ Roll the Tigers for Homecoming 2009
KNOXVILLE — The University of Tennessee will “Rock ‘n’ Roll the Tigers!” during this year’s Homecoming festivities set for Nov. 1-8.
From the traditional Friday afternoon parade to the pre-game Party in the Park, all members of the UT community can celebrate UT traditions at events for all ages. Homecoming’s anchor event will be the Volunteers’ football game against the Memphis Tigers at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 7. A limited number of football tickets are still available to those registering for Homecoming events. After registering online, attendees will receive a confirmation e-mail with instructions on purchasing football tickets.
At 4 p.m. Friday, Grand Marshal and legendary bluegrass musician Bobby Osborne will lead the campus parade from the Rock, at the corner of Volunteer Boulevard and Pat Head Summitt Street, east on Volunteer towards Neyland Stadium. Osborne is perhaps best known to UT fans for the Osborne Brothers’ 1967 recording of “Rocky Top.”
Also on Friday, UT will celebrate 140 years of the Pride of the Southland Marching Band at an event featuring the band at 5:30 p.m. at the Knoxville Marriott.
Friday Night Live at the Square will begin at 7:30 p.m. at the Square Room on Market Square and feature nationally known comedienne — and UT alumna — Leanne Morgan and Wendel Werner, director of the UT Singers, who will offer his own humorous history of rock ‘n’ roll.
Saturday’s Party in the Park will bring past, present and future Vol fans together for tailgating at 4 p.m. in Circle Park. Members of the pep band and cheerleading squad will be on hand as fans enjoy music, door prizes, face painting, games for the kids and more.
Student organizations will engage in a week-long competition, with relays and challenges that highlight UT spirit. Fraternities, sororities and student associations will earn points for finishing in the top three of each contest as they vie for the Madge Harrison Trophy, which will be presented to the group with the highest overall total during halftime of Saturday’s football game.
Registration is required for some activities and the deadline for the larger weekend events is Monday, Nov. 2. Online registration for the Pride of the Southland Band celebration, Friday Night Live at the Square, Party in the Park and more is available here.
Additional events include:
Sunday, Nov. 1
- Anything Goes — 5:30 p.m., Fiji Island. Students participate in games and relays.
Monday, Nov. 2
- 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament — 4 p.m., HPER. Student teams.
Tuesday, Nov. 3
- Soapbox Derby — 3:30 p.m., Volunteer Boulevard in front of Stokely Athletic Center.
Friday, Nov. 6
- WUTK and College of Communication & Information Alumni Reception — 6 – 9 p.m., Patrick Sullivan’s in the Old City.
- Homecoming Kickoff Show — 7 p.m., Knoxville Civic Auditorium. Sponsored by the Black Cultural Programming Committee. Features comedians Bruce Bruce, Dominique and Steve Brown. Tickets are on sale at the UT Central Ticket Office and at Tickets Unlimited. Tickets for UT students, which include admittance to Saturday’s step show, are $22. Tickets for the general public are $17 and do not include other events.
- The Knoxville Wine Down — 7 p.m., SOBU Restaurant & Lounge, 6213 Kingston Pike. Sponsored by the Black Alumni Council. Tickets are $20 per person and include admittance to the Black Alumni Party at 9 p.m.
- Black Alumni Party/Homecoming After Party — 9 p.m., SOBU Restaurant & Lounge, 6213 Kingston Pike. Sponsored by the Black Alumni Council. Tickets are $10 per person at the door. Admission is free with the purchase Knoxville Wine Down tickets.
Saturday, Nov. 8
- Daily Beacon Open House and Buffet — 3 p.m., Daily Beacon office, 5 Communications Building.
- Army ROTC Picnic — 3 p.m., Knoxville Marriott. The suite reopens approximately one hour after the football game ends.
- College of Engineering Annual Alumni Homecoming Barbecue — 4 p.m., courtyard of Ferris and Perkins halls. $12 per adult; $8 per child.
- College of Communication & Information Open House — 4 – 6 p.m., Communications Building lobby. Tour renovated areas of the school and meet with faculty.
- College of Law Barbecue — 4 p.m., College of Law front patio. $15 per person.
- 20th Anniversary Pre-Game Faculty Showcase — 5 p.m., University Center Ballroom. “Germs and Geology: Emerging Issues in Waterborne Pathogen Research,” featuring Larry D. McKay, Jones Professor of hydrogeology and head of the Earth and Planetary Sciences department.
- 10th Annual Black Cultural Center Festival — noon, Black Cultural Center.
- Homecoming Football Game — 7 p.m., Neyland Stadium. UT vs. Memphis.
- 10th Annual Stompfest — 8 p.m., Knoxville Civic Center. Sponsored by the Black Cultural Programming Committee. Tickets are on sale at the UT Central Ticket Office and at Tickets Unlimited. Tickets for the general public are $17. Tickets for UT students, which include admittance to Friday’s Homecoming Kickoff show, are $22.
- Black Alumni Reunion — 9 p.m., Jubilee Banquet Hall, 6700 Jubilee Center Way. Join the Kappa Chi Chapter of the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, the Black Cultural Programming Committee, the Pi Epsilon Chapter of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority and the class of 1989 as we unite for one celebration. $15 per person.
Sunday, Nov. 9
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Farewell Gathering Brunch and Program — 11 a.m., Panhellenic Building.
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Farewell and Recognition Lunch — 1:30 p.m., Mt. Olive Baptist Church. Lunch will immediately follow the 10:45 a.m. worship service. Sisters are invited to meet at the Black Cultural Center at 10:20 to carpool to the church.
For more information about Homecoming events, including registration and R.S.V.P. details, visit the Office of Alumni Affairs’ Homecoming Web site.
Additional details on events sponsored by the Black Alumni Council, Black Cultural Programming Committee and the Black Cultural Center also can be found on the Minority Student Affairs Web site. Details on UT student events can be found on the All Campus Events Web site.
C O N T A C T :
Rebekah Winkler, (865-974-8304, email@example.com)