Suggest the Next Life of the Mind Book
The Life of the Mind Committee invites faculty, staff, students and others to nominate a book as next year’s reading selection for first-year students.
Life of the Mind is a common reading experience for all first-year students that gives them their first taste of academic life at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. The book is to be used as a tool to challenge students’ thinking and engage them in discussion about important issues and their transition to college.
Each year, the Life of the Mind committee reviews dozens of books as potential selections for the program. If you know of a book that you think would be a good LOTM selection, please let us know about it.
Life of the Mind books should include themes that
• Expose students to the Ready for the World international and intercultural initiative.
• Represent a transition or journey that can be related to the first-year experience at UT.
• Target specific campus initiatives or current global events.
• Are broad and cross-disciplinary in nature and can be built upon with programming throughout the fall semester.
• Challenge student thinking and encourage campus dialogue.
In addition, the Life of the Mind book should be written by an individual who is living and able to come to campus to meet with students.
To suggest a book, go to http://torch.utk.edu/lifeofthemind/suggestion.shtml.