Free Health Fair for UT Students, Employees and Retirees April 6
KNOXVILLE — The College of Nursing at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, has teamed up again this year with UT Student Health Services and the University of Tennessee Medical Center to bring the UT community “HealthBeat 2011,” a free health fair for UT students, faculty, staff, retirees and their families.
The fair will take place from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, April 6, in the University Center Ballroom.
Several screenings and tests will be provided, and exhibition booths also will be set up with representatives from various health care organizations and UT departments giving counsel and handing out information.
Participants will be able to obtain information on nutrition and weight management, diabetes, breast health, oral cancer, organ donor registry and sign-up, HIV/AIDS education, student health education and services, drug and alcohol abuse, heart health and stroke risk, primary care, adult immunizations, ER trauma, pharmacogenetics, genetic counseling and genetic testing, and general health. Ask-a-doctor and ask-a-pharmacist opportunities also will be available.
In addition to the information and exhibition booths, the following screenings will be provided:
- Oral and dental health screening
- Carotid artery screening
- Skin cancer/age progression screening
- Blood pressure screening
- Bone density screening
- Body Mass Index screening
- CO2/Pulse Ox screening
- Vision screening
- Blood typing
- HIV/AIDS testing
- Sickle cell and other hemoglobinopathy testing
Insurance is not required for any of the screenings or tests. Small fees will apply only to those screenings that require lab work:
- $20 – Prostate Specific Antigen screening (men only) — This test measures the amount of PSA released into your blood by the prostate gland.
- $20 – Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) — This test serves as a tool to measure thyroid levels in the body and can help diagnose thyroid disease.
- $20 – Comprehensive Metabolic Panel — This test measures protein, potassium, sodium, glucose, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), alanine transaminase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase(AST) and albuminum, among several other components.
- $20 – C-Reactive Protein (CRP) — This test measures inflammation of the heart and can help assess your risk for heart disease.
- $20 – Lipid Panel (fasting required) — This test measures your total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides, ratio and glucose.
- $15 – Complete Blood Count (CBC) — This test measures your red and white blood cell count.
- $25 – Vitamin D screening — This test measures the level of vitamin D in your body. For accurate results, do not take supplements for 48 hours prior to screening.
Fasting for 8-10 hours is required for the lipid panel. Water and black coffee are allowed, and drinking plenty of fluids the day before is advised. Prescriptions should be taken as prescribed. Diabetics should consult with their physician before fasting.
Credit cards, cash and checks are accepted. Checks can be made payable to UTMC (University of Tennessee Medical Center). Results will be mailed to the participant within 10 business days.
The following UT departments and programs will have representatives and/or booths at the fair: Center for Physical Activity & Health, Rec Sports, Book and Supply Store, Student Health Services, Police Department, Human Resources, and the Safety, Environment and Education Center.
Other participating organizations include UTMC Genetic Center, Knox County Health Department, Knox County Mental Health Association and Tennessee Newborns.
Participants also will be able schedule mammogram appointments for when the Mobile Mammography Unit visits the UT Knoxville campus in April.
“HealthBeat is a great opportunity to participate in important health screenings and receive additional informative materials,” said Mary Sue Hodges, clinical instructor in the College of Nursing. “Several labs done as a part of an annual physical are available at a significantly reduced rate.”
Parking is available at the University Center parking garage; normal rates apply.
C O N T A C T :
Mary Sue Hodges, email@example.com, (865) 974-7583
Kristi Hintz, firstname.lastname@example.org, (865) 974-3993