UT Faculty and Staff Offer: Six Clarence Brown Theatre Shows for $70
The Clarence Brown Theatre currently offers half price single tickets to UT faculty and staff. The six-show package discounts those prices even more. This package normally sells for $135 to the general public.
The offer is good for the six-show package, is limited to two subscriptions per purchase, and excludes Opening Night.
The Clarence Brown Theatre season opens on Thursday, September 8. The following shows are included in the package:
- Moonlight & Magnolias—Producer David O. Selznick has shut down filming on Gone With the Wind because the screenplay isn’t working. What does he do? He fires the director, pulls Victor Fleming off the set of The Wizard of Oz, commandeers the great screenwriter Ben Hecht and locks everyone in his office for five days to act out the book chapter by chapter.
- 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee—Six lovable nerds, in the throes of puberty, battle for a spelling championship that is a perfect evening of musical F-U-N. Who knows? YOU may find yourself on stage!
- It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play— Inspired by the classic American film, It’s a Wonderful Life, the play is performed as a 1940s live radio broadcast in front of a studio audience. Five actors perform the dozens of characters, produce the sound effects and break for commercial. Live and On the Air! This production is returning to the Carousel Theater for its second season.
- Fuddy Meers—A woman whose memory is erased when she sleeps, a limping, lisping ‘brother’ who kidnaps her, an accomplice with a sock puppet, a husband with murky intentions, a gibberish-speaking mom, and a foul-mouthed teenage son. A farce about aphasia, and other oddities, from the playwright of Rabbit Hole.
- Black Pearl Sings—A search for lost African-American folk music leads Susannah, an ambitious song collector for the Library of Congress, to Pearl, a woman with a soulful voice, a steely spirit and a dramatic story. Over twenty folk songs and spirituals create an American musical tapestry that unites these two different women, as they journey toward their way out of the shadows and into the light of personal freedom.
- Kiss Me Kate—Start with Shakespeare, add the timeless songs of Cole Porter, and you get a multiple Tony Award winning musical. This play-within-a-play recounts the onstage and offstage romantic battles of a touring production of The Taming of the Shrew. Featuring songs like “Brush Up Your Shakespeare,” “Another Op’nin’, Another Show” and “Why Can’t You Behave?”
For more information or to order tickets, contact the Box Office at 974-5161.