Updates for Faculty and Staff
March 25, 2021 at 4:15 pm - Anyone age 16 and older in Knox County is now eligible.
August 24, 2020 at 4:40 pm - While most Vols are working to protect our community, some are not.
June 15, 2020 at 4:38 pm - Learn how to apply university resources on COVID-19 to build a detailed return-to-work plan.
June 08, 2020 at 4:42 pm - A roundup of campus news and information.
June 04, 2020 at 5:44 pm - A roundup of campus news and information.
June 02, 2020 at 5:39 pm - Complete training by June 5 if you plan to return to campus in Phase 2.
June 01, 2020 at 5:44 pm - A roundup of campus news and information.
May 29, 2020 at 2:18 pm - New resources to help you prepare for the fall semester.
May 28, 2020 at 2:11 pm - A roundup of campus news and information.
May 26, 2020 at 5:05 pm - A roundup of campus news and information.
Academics and Support Resources
Have you witnessed or been the recipient of a bias-based incident?
As we navigate these challenging times as an inclusive campus community, please do not make assumptions about others based on perceived symptoms or identities (e.g., race, ethnicity and/or national origin). We want to foster a campus environment in which everyone matters and belongs. This means showing empathy and respect to all Vols, particularly those for whom this may be an especially stressful situation.
It is important to uphold our values during this evolving situation and to protect every aspect of our community’s well-being. For those who may need additional support, please utilize the following resources:
- Students can contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 974-HELP or the Student Counseling Center at 865-974-2196 for support services.
- Employees can access resources through the Office of Human Resources or by calling 865-946-CARE.
- For more information regarding bias and to make a report, visit bias.utk.edu.
How has the university distributed federal COVID-19 relief funding?
CARES Act funding, spring 2020
The university distributed $9.62 million provided by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act for student emergency relief. Approximately 90 percent of the CARES Act funding was disbursed directly to about 9,000 eligible students in the form of grant aid to help with financial hardships as a result of COVID-19. The remaining 10 percent was distributed to students who applied for and were eligible for emergency financial assistance.
HEERF II funding, spring 2021
The university has begun distributing $19.62 million in federal student emergency relief from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund II (HEERF II). Approximately 99 percent of the money allocated for student emergency relief is being disbursed directly to about 13,700 eligible students in the form of grant aid to help with financial hardships as a result of COVID-19. The remaining 1 percent of student emergency relief funds is being allocated to the Student Emergency Fund administered by the Office of the Dean of Students.
Grant aid in both spring 2020 and spring 2021 was distributed to UT undergraduate and graduate students with the highest need based on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Information about distribution of federal COVID-19 student emergency relief is available on the One Stop Student Services website.
What is the status of university travel?
- University-related travel within the US does not require an exception. Restrictions may be reinstated if CDC guidelines warrant a change.
- For university-related international travel, exceptions are required for destinations based on US Department of State travel warnings, CDC COVID-19 travel health notices, or CDC non-COVID-19 travel health notices. Review the Center for Global Engagement’s list of warning levels and health notices that require international travel exceptions.
- University-related international travel requires registration with the Center for Global Engagement regardless of whether the destination requires an exception.
- University-related international travel requires the use of World Travel and the purchase of travel insurance through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI).
What you need to do
- Check US Department of State travel warnings, CDC COVID-19 travel health notices, and CDC non-COVID-19 travel health notices.
- Review the Center for Global Engagement’s list of warning levels and health notices that require international travel exceptions and the process for exception requests and travel registration for international travel.
- Request an exception for international travel if needed.
- If your international travel requires an exception, do not make arrangements until your exception is approved. Required exceptions must be approved before you complete international travel registration and IRIS travel request processes.
- Use World Travel for arrangements. International trips booked outside of World Travel will not be eligible for reimbursement. CISI insurance will be required and should be purchased by the traveler’s business unit.
- Register with the Center for Global Engagement, regardless of whether the international destination requires an exception.
Business units are responsible for trip cancellations related to COVID-19.
To avoid COVID-19 exposure during travel, follow the same health and safety behaviors as at home. Wear a mask. Practice social distancing. Wash hands frequently. Clean frequently touched surfaces and monitor your health.
Anyone coming to campus who has recently traveled, whether in the US or internationally, should decide whether they need to self-isolate based on local travel restrictions, the rate of community spread to which they have been exposed, any specific known exposures, and their own health assessment.
Support and resources
- Center for Global Engagement international travel information: Includes a list of warning levels and health notices that require international travel exceptions and the processes for exception requests and travel registration
- Center for Global Engagement Programs Abroad site: Includes frequently asked questions about COVID-19 and programs abroad
- US Department of State travel warnings
- CDC COVID-19 travel guidance: Includes travel health notices for international destinations
- CDC non-COVID-19 travel health notices