The selection of cheerleaders became competitive in 1916 following Robert Clayton “Red” Matthews’ nine-year stint as UT’s first cheerleader. There was a distinction between the cheerleaders who performed at athletic contests and the “cheer leaders” who led cheers at pep meetings. In 1927, a formal cheerleading squad of one head cheerleader and two assistants was organized. The uniform for the all-male 1927 squad was an orange blazer trimmed in white, white shirts, orange-and-white ties and white pants with an orange stripe on the outside seams. By 1930, sweaters had replaced the blazers. Women first joined the cheerleading squad in 1938.