First Building Devoted to Library Opened
Lucy Ella Fay served as head librarian when the first building devoted to the UT library opened in 1911. Due to UT President Charles Dabney’s fundraising efforts, the Andrew Carnegie Fund covered $40,000 for the new library’s construction. The final cost for constructing the dedicated library space totaled $54,000. The library stood at the north end of what is now the Austin Peay Building and housed 38,000 volumes. However, within 10 years the building reached full capacity and portions of the collection had to be transferred to other locations. This led to the construction of the library in 1931 (named after UT President James Hoskins in 1950), the John C. Hodges Undergraduate Library in 1969, and the renovated John C. Hodges Library in 1987.