School of Mechanic Arts, Mining, and Engineering Founded - Later Became College of Engineering
The School of Mechanic Arts, Mining, and Engineering was first organized at East Tennessee University in 1877, offering courses in mechanical and mining engineering. Courses in surveying had begun in 1838 and civil engineering was first offered in 1840. The school was re-named the College of Engineering in 1905, and Charles Ferris became the first dean in 1907. The college was renamed the Tickle College of Engineering in 2016 to honor alumnus John D. Tickle.