International House Opened
UT’s first International Student Center opened in February 1969. The renovated three-story former residence was located at 1601 Clinch Avenue. The center offered classes in English as a second language (sponsored by the Knox County Adult Education Program) along with craft classes, coffee hours, children’s parties, a game room, sewing machines, and a loan closet with household items students could borrow. The center had a reading room/library and newspapers from all over the world. In 1983, the International House moved to a former residence located at 1515 Cumberland Avenue between the College of Law and the Panhellenic Building—formerly the home of the Graduate School of Planning. In 1994, the International House was razed to build an addition to the College of Law Building. UT held a groundbreaking for the present International House on December 7, 1994. During construction, an International Lounge was established in the Carolyn P. Brown Memorial University Center. The International House opened in 1996.