Women Regularly Admitted
Women were admitted to UT on an equal footing with men beginning in 1893, after the board of trustees approved co-education. Women had been admitted on an experimental basis in 1892, and when our institution was Blount College five women were among its admitted students in 1804. The Tennessee Legislature Education Committee recommended in 1895 that UT limit women’s enrollment because the university’s primary purpose was to teach agricultural and mechanical arts, presumably not appropriate for women. However, UT faculty considered domestic science courses for women to be practical training that would appeal to coeds.